Monday, April 5, 2010

the gates of heaven



Tony Joe White - The Beginning
John Luther Adams - The Light the Fills the Void (lala)
Various Artists - Mississippi Records Tape Series No. 45 - Samba De Morro (via ROOT BLOG)
Bonnie 'Prince' Billy & the Cairo Gang - The Wonder Show of the World

The path leading to the gates of heaven will be lined with festival snack trucks like the ones in Ferriday this weekend, pictured above and below.



and the air will shimmer like that in a John Luther Adams piece. Eric Shuster, a percussion major here at LSU and member of the Incense Merchants, dropped off a card announcing a recital (April 19, LSU School of Music Recital Hall, 4PM) where he will be playing the composer's Dark Wind. John Luther Adams is one of those names I know but I had no idea how freakishly, devastatingly gorgeous the music is until today. Funnel cake for small ensemble. Chicken on a stick for blurred marimbas.


Jack Pendarvis has a great meditation on the Oxford, MS delicacy chicken on a stick, procurable at the Chevron just off the square, in the Oxford American Southern Food issue, which you should go get and read. I have had one of these (Oxford Chevron chickens-on-a-stick, as well as meditations) in the dark Mississippi night and can testify to their drunk food power, if that helps.

Tony Joe White of "Poke Saland Annie" fame was the star of the Delta Music Festival, and got a little country soul weird on the attending crowd in his short set.


Tony Joe White - " Who You Gonna Hoo-Doo Now?"


Tony Joe White - "Poke Salad Annie"

And I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but it bears repeating that the Mississippi Records Tape Series is my favorite thing ever. I will have a tape case full of them handy as I cruise around heaven all day, as I dip chicken on a stick in styrofoam cups of poke salot as my dear departed mother-in-law made it for me once

No comments:

Post a Comment