Tuesday, December 8, 2009

well, I'm not dumb but I can't understand



Dan Bern - The Burbank Tapes (listen) Hey Dan Bern, great record you got there!

John Lennon/Yoko Ono - Two Virgins (from the previous post) It gets noisy and weird like that when you love each other.

The Kinks - Lola vs. the Powerman and the Moneygoround Part One - Y'know, I am one Kinks-ignorant dude. For all the opinions I have on music that either no one cares about or everyone cares about too much, I am mostly ignorant on the one English band a fellow should actually bother studying.

I do know that "Lola" was a strange hit among the frat crowd when I was in college; they would play it at a key moment in the evening revelry at Murphy's, a nightmarish trough of a place near campus. It's a good song and all, but why the sole classic rock chestnut about transvestites resonated with the backwards hat crowd of the 1988 south is a bit of a mystery to me. I distinctly remember one such dude proclaiming to an identical other, "Yeah, but when they play 'Lola' and you get a round of rum'n'Cokes, it is ON."

Was it popular because they are the future powermen and moneygorounds that poor ol' Lola was fighting against, and they were embodying their victory? Is the economic crash that these future business managers of America helped create the part two to which the Kinks allude? It's worth investigation.

This variation of the song is very popular with certain young pledges at my own little Animal House as of late.

No comments:

Post a Comment