Tuesday, December 1, 2009

I always liked that Matt Clark



Nico Muhly - Mothertongue (listen) This album was on my top 10 list of last year, but it's been reissued, so maybe it will crop up again this year. He is a master of intermedia, pushing pop and classical strategies up against each other and warming himself on the friction. @nicomuhly is a shining example of his prowess, as is this:


Gavin Bryars - The Sinking of the Titanic Live (listen) This piece makes me think of a guy I used to know. Matt Clark. He and I weren't exactly friends, in fact we were sort of low-simmer enemies in the turbulent social nebulae of one's twenties. I hadn't thought about him in years. His apartment I coveted and almost moved into if a solar flare from one of my other nebulae hadn't accelerated my relocation plans by a couple months. He was a short story writer, a good one actually. He had a great story about living in a giant ice cream cone sculpture. I moved back to find that he succumbed to cancer and his apartment had long changed a million hands and all the people we had in common had largely moved on, but I remember one party my pointless contempt of him subsided when I saw this CD (the original studio version, rather) on his stereo. "Oh yeah, that's one of my favorite CD's ever." Ever since that arbitrary shift in arbitrary animosities, when I think of him, I think: you know, I always liked that Matt Clark.

No comments:

Post a Comment