Monday, December 7, 2009

moon-howling



Rodney Carrington - Morning Wood (listen) Carrington's signature tune "Titties and Beer" was requested of the band at the Gator Bar, a long defunct but recently re-opened swamp bar I revisited last night, and I figured if you have never had the pleasure, well, now you have. Good morning!


To either their credit or failing, not sure which, Debby and Toby did not play the song even after I pulled up the chords (E and A, exclusively) on my phone. They did, however, Bonnie Raitt-up Tears for Fears' "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" which I thought a stroke of cover song genius. The gal next to me at the bar started crying again during it, proof of its acuity. Scenes from the life. I'd tell you more but this is for a story.

Roky Erickson & the Aliens - The Evil One (Plus One) (listen) Just in case you need reminding, The Evil One (Plus One) is one of the greatest albums in rock 'n' roll. The former frontman of the 13th Floor Elevators invented psychedelic music in the wastelands of Houston just so he later could go mad, slightly recover and record this rabid moon-howling of demons and ghosts and vampires.


Dave Rawlings Machine - A Friend of a Friend (listen) Man, OK. Dave Rawlings and Gillian Welch's Time (The Revelator) is bubbling to the surface as one of the best albums of the decade, a sentiment with which I am inclined to agree, though its an out-of-timeframe kind of record. Now, one I will concede to having defined the 2000's is Ryan Adams Heartbreaker, on which Dave and Gillian served as the band. Here they are going NPR-hillbilly on that album's greatest song.

No comments:

Post a Comment