Wednesday, December 16, 2009

touch the meat



Can - Out of Reach (listen)
Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - The Doldrums (listen)
Animal Collective - Fall Be Kind (listen)
Bruce Gilbert (of Wire) - This Way (listen)
Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space (listen)

I hooked up the computer speakers in the new improved music room, like across the room from where you are sitting where speakers are supposed to be so they can activate the air, kinda how a barbecue's flame doesn't really touch the meat but touches the air that touches the meat and was astounded at how good it sounded. I listen to so much music in iPhone headphones and the crap freebie speakers on my desk at work that I forgot, and now I want to embark on an audio system arrangement project. Make. Everything. Vibrant. And. Beautiful.

In fact, hold up a second....

... OK, I moved the office speakers around a little and bang! Even the crap-ass recording style of Ariel Pink sounded like a flower bursting up through soil right before me.


Sometimes, it takes so little effort to set things right. A little shift here, a thoughtful gesture there. I contend that if you spend you life trying to get everything right, your life will be just that, spent, but the little gestures are the true meaning of investment. That is probably a valuable lesson with which to cap off a year.


Edited to add: I just removed that stupid horizontal desk drawer that my knees brush against all day every day and now I feel like I'm floating in space!

No comments:

Post a Comment