Sunday, June 27, 2010

what a beautiful face I have found


Teacup, tiki eraser, and dog

Etgar Keret, The Nimrod Flipout
Neutral Milk Hotel, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

The song "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" has been wedged in my head all weekend
What a beautiful face
I have found in this place
That is circling all round the sun
What a beautiful dream
That could flash on the screen
In a blink of an eye and be gone from me
Soft and sweet
Let me hold it close and keep it here with me.
so much so that I thought about making a post of the sweet, poetic snapshots of my weekend with these lines sandwiched between, like pairing "soft and sweet" with these Saturn peaches from the farmer's market



but that might be too coy even for blogging.

I finished The Nimrod Flipout while sitting in my mechanic's office



as he patched our tire. Keret's stories are the short, sharp kind that can be killed off in that brief an interval and in such a magnificent place. The last time I chuckled aloud so much at a book was when I discovered David Sedaris. Keret deals in a homey sort of magical realism as if magic was merely the hook for a joke. Really, you should go read some; it will only take a minute.

I had a lot of other things to say about pictures and places and the bracket of the weekend, but we are headed to the bookstore and just saw this at a yard sale down the street from us



and I'm really hoping someone starts a band around this gear. On Capital Heights near Acadian, best offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment