Tuesday, June 22, 2010

a secret paper-doll fantasy figure who would be my everything and bear my children


I'm trying to use up all the science museum pictures before they spoil.

Various Artists, Greenberg soundtrack

OK, so LCD Soundsystem my be a post-modern Steve Miller Band (both on the Greenberg soundtrack), I can live with that. They both sound great with the windows down, coyly deadpan, not afraid of their disco tendencies, etc. Dig this investigation of the "pompatus of love" which supposedly Miller made up for "The Joker." (Wiki)
Although Miller claims he invented the words "epismetology" (metathesis of epistemology) and "pompatus," all of his song-writing demonstrates strong rhythm and blues influences, and a 1954 song called "The Letter" by the Medallions had the lines[1]:
Oh my darling, let me whisper
sweet words of pizmotality
and discuss the puppetutes of love.

The song was composed by Vernon Green as a description of his dream woman.[1] "Pizmotality described words of such secrecy that they could only be spoken to the one you loved," Green explained. He coined the term puppetutes "to mean a secret paper-doll fantasy figure who would be my everything and bear my children."[1]

They should've made the movie about Vernon Green instead of whatever Greenberg is about. Just set up the camera and let him explain things.


The Medallions, "The Letter"


This kid doing Galaxie 500's "Strange" (also on the soundtrack) kinda kills me.

No comments:

Post a Comment