Monday, June 28, 2010

jar of moonshine


U.S. Senator Robert Byrd, "There's More Pretty Girls Than One"

U.S. Senator Robert Byrd, Mountain Fiddler
The National. The National
The Byrds, Younger Than Yesterday

I once had a copy of Mountain Fiddler and if I still had it, I'd pour a jar of moonshine through the center hole for the departed Vest Virginia Senator (I'd also need a jar of moonshine), a man whose 50 years of service embodied the good, the bad, and the ugly of the American politic. Like I guess you could say about the wide scope of his Senate career, Mountain Fiddler was pretty a good record. Choire at the Awl has a great remembrance of the man phrased in questions, which is the only way to take on/in a guy that did so much.

He did try to tell us what a bad idea the Iraq war would be, remembering how long the Punic Wars dragged on in his youth. I keed. RIP, mountain fiddler.



I wonder if the Byrds ever posed the idea of having Robert Byrd play fiddle on one of their albums.

Jerri was watching something this morning that had the National panting away in the soundtrack. I always thought they would be no-brainer soundtrack band, but like Drive-By Truckers, I'm too invested in them for it to stay in service to the screen.


The National, "Perfect Song"

No comments:

Post a Comment