Tuesday, September 15, 2009

the Stones cocaine disco number



Epic Soundtracks - Everything is Temporary (listen) A friend emailed me wanting a suggestion about Nikki Sudden albums, and the only thing I could think was: listen to this one by his brother Epic Soundtracks. This one is the gold standard of punk-turned-singer-songwriter bliss, particularly "Emily May."


The Felice Brothers - Yonder is the Clock (listen) The whole of "Alt-country"/"Americana" has become somewhat of a broken record to me lately, it's proponents a little too dedicated to its non-genre-ness than some sense of what makes this music enjoyable. Plus, no disrespect to No Depression's Grant Alden, but I can't figure out how anyone can not like M. Ward. Maybe I'm blinded by a particular resonance I find in his music. Anyway, the Felice Brothers is one of a million alt-country names I've never given time to, but they are coming here next week, and guess what? They are alt-country as hell and are awesome.


The Black Crowes - Before the Frost...Until the Freeze (listen) On this first listen, I really dig the new Black Crowes record. I experience that whole cosmology I get when I go back and listen to an entire Allman Brothers or Marshall Tucker Band record; once you step away from whatever quotation marks you might have put around the bands and their history and cultural reference points, the music is rather dazzling. I even like the Stones cocaine disco number. A lot, actually.

No comments:

Post a Comment