Wednesday, September 16, 2009

exquisite simulacrum



The Black Crowes - Before the Frost...Until the Freeze
(listen) I'm still listening to this from yesterday, and I don't mean this in a "I can't believe I'm still listening to this" way but in a "this is a really long album; it is still on" way. Someday I will reach the palace of wisdom that is rumored to be at the end of this album's road of excess, but in the meantime, I applaud the classic-rockness necessary to throw down a sitar boogie in the middle of it all.



Rilo Kiley, David Rawlings, and Gillian Welch - "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around"
live at the Orange Peel, Asheville, N.C., on June 11, 2008 - I'm not totally sold on the charms of Jenny Lewis, but y'all, this is hot.



John Hiatt - Slug Line
(listen) I think its funny that, as this AMG review suggests, MCA signed John Hiatt in 1979 thinking he would be their Elvis Costello when it took 30 years for Elvis to turn himself into John Hiatt. But yeah, this album is a desperate but unto-itself-exquisite simulacrum of My Aim is True/Armed Forces. Look closely and you are sure to espy a detective or two on "Madonna Road"


Or "You're My Love Interest." This might just beat EC at his own game.


A side note: why on earth is Hiatt's exquisite acoustic album from 2000 Crossing Muddy Waters out of print? Like, not even in iTunes out of print. I'm pretty sure that album stayed in our CD player for months, once we managed to pry Steve Earle's The Mountain out of there. It is a serious deficiency of the Internet and music industry that I cannot listen to that magnificent overlooked classic right now. Here are a couple of songs from it.



Listening to it, I'm instantly transported to driving down Hwy 50 east from Kansas City to Knob Noster, MO to go work all day in my mother-in-law's garden.

If you are in charge of the Internet and setting in to remedy this complain, please make that Buckingham Nicks record available too. TIA.

No comments:

Post a Comment