Friday, September 25, 2009

pub rock forever



Dave Edmunds - Repeat When Necessary (listen) Precisely the kind of passé gem that Rhino Records was adept at reintroducing to curious souls. I'd all but forgotten about his original 1979 version of "Queen of Hearts"


and did not know that it was recorded at the same time and with the same lineup (mainly Edmund's band Rockpile) as Nick Lowe's Labour of Lust, on which I did not know Huey Lewis played harmonica. I did know it contains one of the best songs ever written.



And if I had a tangible memory of Lowe's Stiff Records labelmates Tenpole Tudor (listen) outside of maybe a mention on the Young Ones - I coulda sworn they'd been a musical guest, but then I coulda also sworn there were more than 12 episodes - that memory has been long lost. But this is a great ridiculous video for a great ridiculous song.



Anywho, pub rock forever! Here's to ya Rhino Records. You knew the bride when she used to rock 'n' roll.

1 comment:

  1. I was out in L.A. last summer when I heard Steve Jones interviewing Tenpole on Jonesy Jukebox. Tenpole played that song (and a few others) with an acoustic in studio. The interview was quite hilarious.

    ReplyDelete