Thursday, September 17, 2009

my mouth tastes a little like batteries



The Flaming Lips - Embryonic (streaming this week at ColbertNation. Weird, I know.) It took four or fives songs for me to notice the demons coming at me from the walls, and then an autotune space/drug ballad or two to realize they'd left. I can't really say what happened during the interim or how long it took, but I'm dehydrated now and my mouth tastes a little like batteries.

Miles Davis - Dark Magus (listen) It reminds me of this live monster, a Carnegie Hall demonstration of the defense capabilities of a wah-wah pedal from Miles' electric misanthropist period in the 70's, not stylistically, but in the way the music rose and fell with the tide in a massive tank that was being constructed as it was filled. Or maybe it was just the cover that made me think of it.


Frozen Bears - 2000 (listen) It also reminds me a little of this, my friend Kevin's excellent garage science project band. Maybe Embryonic sounds like electric era Miles Davis played by Frozen Bears. Now there is a blurb for the cover sticker!

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm. Now I'm going to listen to these things in that order and see what I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shout, Alex. Let's see if you can't convince the Flaming Lips to use your blurb!

    ReplyDelete