Saturday, September 12, 2009

5 things realized today about the German band Can



  1. The duplicitous meaning in the band name: a can that contains, is a standardization, a commodity, a symbol for lack of individual attention to a product vs. can the verb, the unlimited possibilities and permission to realize those possibilities.
  2. "Moon Shake" off Future Days is a really great song; funk stripped to its jiggly core
  3. Every time I get a new technology or method for listening to music, Can is invariably the first band on which I try it out. One of the first CD's I ever burned, the first MP3 CD I burned, loaded on my first iPod and then phone, and now one of the first things I listened to through Rhapsody on my iPhone.
  4. I used to think I didn't like the post-Damo Suzuki years of Can, but I've changed my mind on that.
  5. The cover of Ege Bamyasi depicts a can of okra and tomatoes, which is really one of the world's perfect food combinations.


No comments:

Post a Comment