Tuesday, March 24, 2009

you don't wanna call nobody else


Japancakes - The Sleepy Strange (listen) My dream instrumental combo (taking into consideration the fact that things that make sense in dreams don't necessarily translate to waking logic) would be slide guitar, Hammond B-3, cello and brushed drums. That group could endlessly undulate, building fractal riffs off basic notions. Perhaps some enterprising programmer will write such an application for the iPhone I am getting for my birthday - an art-Americana version of Brian Eno's Bloom (YouTube) - but until they do (IRL, I am a seasoned programmer on the PC side of the world, but the core of Apple knowledge is unknown to me) I will suffice with the sleepwalking opiate that is this the music of this ridiculously-named band Japancakes.
Tortoise - Standards - I read today that a new Tortoise album is in the works, and yeah, you probably hate Tortoise and all they stand for and think post-rock is a joke, prog rock without the reading list, but whatever. I'm excited about it.
Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic (listen) To those that have endured my tirades against Steely Dan in the past, let's just say I've had a change of heart.

2 comments:

  1. Stories like this one about Steely Dan make me fear for my future. Is it possible that I've always been a Steely Dan fan, and not even known it? I don't want ever to think about Steely Dan "in that way." I'm sure there's some sort of camp you can attend to get your mind straight and get back on our team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I fought it for years, to the point of considering writing a book about how much I hate Steely Dan, which I started doing at the page below (links to parts 1,2, and 3 at the bottom of the story)

    http://alexvcook.blogspot.com/2007/08/me-and-dan.html

    Somewhere in giving that stuff a critical listen, I found things to like in the Dan, and holes in my own opinions. It was a good exercise to go through, and still might one day turn into something.

    ReplyDelete