Friday, March 27, 2009

reelin' in the years, part 3


1975: The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Symphonion Dream (listen) The minimalist wave-oscillation business that opens this album could have gone on a lot longer in my opinion.

It is is a weird way to open a Nitty Gritty Dirt band, but then this a weird, loevly record - even "Battle of New Orleans" is made a weirder song than it already was. Add to that the presence of Gary Busey on cowbell and you have an interesting situation, one that ends where it begins

1976: Dave Van Ronk - Sunday Street (listen) I just started Bob Dylan's Chronicles and read a number of pages of him rattling on about Dave Van Ronk. He's one of those names I know from my forays into folk music but somehow until now, I've never heard him, or at least not consciously, and this little exercise is about filling in little holes here and there - the little exercise being this unheard-album-for-each-year thing I'm doing and whole of existence itself. That said, I don't really care for this album much.
1977: Univers Zero - Univers Zero or 1313 (listen) Whereas, this Belgian group's album of tightly wound chamber-music-as-rock is hitting me on the right cylinder. Maybe I should put the Bob Dylan book down - I noticed on page 8 someone had underlined "I understand sincerity" in the library's copy and the implications unfolding from that underlining are likely the book's essence - and pick Julian Cope's Krautrocksampler back up. It seems to be closer to where my allegiances lie. Or is there a fundamental art-rock book out there? Hmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment