Tuesday, April 12, 2011

the Xanadu orgy of their nothingness


Manhatta (1921) by Charles Sheeler and Paul Strand. Via Weimar. Many YouTube commenters are worked up about the non-original soundtrack. I happen to think Eno's Thursday Afternoon is an apt if bland choice and prefer letting Moon Duo (via aworks) do the sonic lifting.

The Killing
Samuel Beckett, Molloy
Rene Hell, Porcelain Opera (via Pretty Goes With Pretty)
Moon Duo, Mazes

I finished the first half of Molloy, where old Molloy frets around in one hundred-page paragraph around on his crutches in his apartment, sucking on little stones and contemplating his butthole. It's pretty good. The second half is the interior monologue of a detective looking for Molloy, though Lord knows why. Beckett has this way of being compelling by being completely not-compelling. It's not unlike dating crazy girls; nothing's happening but you are right there completely in the middle of all that nothing, you alone in the Xanadu orgy of their nothingness.

Speaking of orgies of nothingness, I read through the first story in a collection I think I want to do next. The title story that gives the collection its conceptual conceit and everything's good about it but the writing. I think its because I'm "trying something out" rather than just telling it. Or it might just be a bad story or I might just be bad at telling it. Anyway, it's something to suck on, like a little stone.

By the way, Moon Duo is my all-time favorite band ever of this moment. I have loved them forever since right now and will listen to no one else until it's over.


Moon Duo, "When You Cut"

No comments:

Post a Comment