Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Note to self: Linda Ronstadt.



Linda Ronstadt, Simple Dreams
Quintron, Sacre Du Sauvage
David Bowie, Low

Junip, Fields
Bonnie Jo Campbell, American Salvage
Oneida, Rated O

Paul Simon, So Beautiful or So What
Rickie Lee Jones, The Duchess of Coolsville
Samuel Beckett, The Unnameable


Media: Deep inside the wealth of information that is the OffBeat JazzFest Bible issue lies my little profile of Swedish folktronicists Junip, appearing May 12 once the JazzFest dust settles at the Republic. Inside said Bible is editor Alex Rawls' review of the new Quintron, calling it his Low which both sound like good synthetic polymers with which to gird oneself against the spring rain and having to work until 9pm tonight, just as soon as I get Linda Ronstadt out of the way.

Some dream from nights ago led to me singing what little I know of "Chuck E's in Love" on the walk home from the bus; I had it in my head that it was a Linda Ronstadt song instead of the obvious Rickie Lee Jones that it is. Maybe it was Linda Ronstadt singing it in the dream. Or maybe in the dream, I put on that one Linda Ronstadt album, the one with her in the tube socks and the satin jacket and "Chuck E's in Love" was playing.Whatever; it sounds like a stupid dream and I'm glad I can't remember it. I just know yesterday afternoon, repeating the chorus of "Chuck E's in Love" under my breath as I walked passed the Radio Shack and the check cashing place where you cannot wear a hoodie or sunglasses inside I thought Note to self: Linda Ronstadt.


Poor old Poly Styrene. Oh, Cancer! Up Yours!

I finished American Salvage. Swoon with me over at the Goodreads:
Bonnie Jo Campbell is an expert in wounds: how the way we get them is fuzzy and only reveals itself to us over time, in less time than it is revealed to others. How wounds that are not cared for heal wrong. How there is never any money to get wounds looked at anyway, and whose wounds ever heal right? More...
Students for an Excel night class and the cultured words of The Unnameable await, right there with everything else. Hello, everything. Here is what we are going to cover in the next three hours...

No comments:

Post a Comment