Tuesday, November 2, 2010

a little forever


Somebody here in town become this band right now please. Prom Date, I'm looking at you.

Precious Bryant, My Name is Precious
John Fahey,  Twilight on Prince Georges Avenue
Elvis Costello, National Ransom
Prom Date, Clock Out
Iva Bittova,
Cikori

Mahala Rai Banda, Mahalageasca
Giacinto Scelsi, Music for High Winds

I talked to guy on the phone yesterday that turned me on to Precious Bryant. How often does anything this surprising come out of a phone call? Most of my phone conversations can be corralled into "Where are you?", giving people money or explaining that I will give them money later. She's got a song called "Wrenched My Ankle!" C'mon! That's a brilliant thing to do a song about. Buck dancing is a good subject as well.


Precious Bryant, "Georgia Buck"

The above is not a protest vote against Elvis Costello. His new one failed on Rhapsody twice and that was just about as much effort as I'm willing to put in on it. I was just talking to somebody about when Bang on a Can All-Stars played here and nobody came and yet Iva Bittova was there and I got to see a sexorcism performance like the one below right here, mere steps from the crappy bagel place where we had lunch, and now I'm thinking about how it's easier to talk someone into eating a crappy bagel than it is bring to them to something that might affect their life a little forever.


Iva Bittova & Bang on a Can All-Stars


David Wegehaupt, Jean-Michel Goury and Friends performing Giacinto Scelsi's Tre Pezzi

Ed. to add: Someone came by my office this morning and mentioned Mississippi John Hurt when he heard sweet ol' Precious up there and 1) this person and I rarely agree on music and both agreed J-MS-H was an undisputed good in the world and 2) maybe I'm not so alone in loving things and 3) J-MS-H died on this day in 1966.


John Mississippi Hurt, "Stack-O-Lee"

No comments:

Post a Comment