Wednesday, February 2, 2011

We're Gucci (in 5 parts)


Lunch.

Bright Eyes, Fevers and Mirrors
Dusty Rhodes and the River Band, First You Live
Marah, Let's Cut the Crap and Hook Up Later Tonight
BBC coverage of the protests in Tahrir square in Cairo
The Drams, Jubilee Dive
Great Lake Swimmers, Lost Channels - The Collector's Edition
Alejandro Escavedo, Street Songs of Love

Media announcement: "RIP" to Charlie Louvin and Milton Babbitt, "praise" for Talib Kweli, a "hello" to Smith Westerns, and a "welcome back" to Alejandro Escavedo (the latter two play Baton Rouge this week) await you in this week's Record Crate blog for 225.

Wipe your glosses with what you know.
and
Bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk!

- both from Finnegans Wake. Happy 129th birthday to James Joyce.

The guy could rock an eyepatch.

  1. A friend of mine is an indigent juvenile defender and informed me that the kids he works with all say "we're Gucci" for "we're cool" or "solid" or whatever squares like myself might say. When people ask me in the hall "How's it goin'?" my autonomic response is "It's getting there", which is terrible. Almost as terrible as me saying "it's Gucci" would be. I used to say "word" a lot in the workplace, undoubtedly eons past its cultural shelf life.
  2. I've never watched The Big Lebowski.
  3. I'm not so sure I'm against the Islamic banking model with regards to its stance against interest. The part where one is not allowed to invest in businesses that violate Sharia law is not my kind of thing.
  4. I found the following in The Music of Baton Rouge (1822-1930) by Karl Koenig, PhD.


I don't know that I can really use this information in my book, but I'd be into hearing Toots Johnson's Band and partaking in some soda, candy and cigars at the porch dance at The Vogue "Parlor".

Ed. to add: I remember a long narrative dream I had last night (rare - narrative and remembering it) about a big societal/financial system collapse ala Super Sad True Love Story except it was tied into the Egypt protests, which I understand about as well as I do Islamic banking, and the world was tooling along, tsk tsking about the Middle East and its nasty volatility until some faction blew up the pyramids and everything got quiet, like in a collective "Whoa." Things got real then, enough of this nonsense, the world conspired to correct the crisis because the pyramids were gone. And then I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment