Wednesday, December 15, 2010

because of the plague

IMG_5925
Why Virginia College had this guy on a float for the Baton Rouge Christmas parade is anyone's guess.

The Pointer Sisters, The Pointer Sisters
Various, Takoma Eclectic Sampler
LCD Soundsystem, This is Happening


Speaking of Allen Toussaint and music I used to hate, Nick Spitzer played and old Pointer Sisters tune written by Toussaint on American Roots the other night and truthfully, its never occurred to me to look into their back catalog at all because of the plague "I'm So Excited" upon our species. Remember when they were on the charts at the same time as ZZ Top and their songs were not terribly distinguishable from each other? And to think some people long for the Reagan years.

Anyway, ladies and gentlemen, a great song by the Pointer Sisters.


The Pointer Sisters, "Yes We Can Can"

My dalliance lasted for precisely one song. Now I'm more into steel guitar/dobro guy Cal Hand. Try not to totally trip out on the one below. And LCD Soundsystem. I intended to start listening the year down to find a top ten; the only definite entry is the Titus Andronicus album - but I'm pretty much all over the place.


Cal Hand and Leo Kottke, "They Only Moved the Stage" from The Wylie Butler


LCD Soundsystem, "Dance Yrself Clean"

This might be my favorite song of the year even though it came out last year. And no, I'm not kidding. I accept that it might have been put together as a joke, but the joke imploded or exploded or did something that only Carl Sagan can explain. I kinda choke up every time I hear it.


Symphony of Science/Carl Sagan - "A Glorious Dawn" ft. Stephen Hawking

No comments:

Post a Comment