Wednesday, September 22, 2010

last day of summer


Sukie fixin' to send a butterfly to the graveyard if she has her way.

Belle & Sebastian, The Life Pursuit
T. Rex, Electric Warrior
Roxy Music, Roxy Music

Media announcement: I put forth my five favorite CD's of Q3 2010 just so I can talk about how much I love the band Cotton Jones (who did one of them and is playing Baton Rouge on Tuesday) in this week's Record Crate blog for 225 Magazine.

The Life Pursuit is my favorite album of the 2000's, I think. It's the one I go back to more than any other. If I'd been a few years younger, it would be one of the important Radiohead records. Radiohead is a more "important" band of the era I suppose. What I like about B&S so much is their audacious attention to throwback detail - 70's filigree and 80's Smiths erudition and on top of that they are actually funny and all those things are synergistic toward creating great songs now.

Riding to the park with the sunroof open with the dog named from "Sukie in the Graveyard" was awesome at the perfunctory last day of summer. Louisiana is a late adopter to fall every year, if we take to it at all. Riding back with T. Rex going was even better. I am a jeepster for all y'all's love this autumn, the season resulting from the onset of Demeter's wrath for her teenage daughter's foolish/involuntary dalliances with the King of Hell and the patriarchy's insistence that her due be paid, when it really doesn't matter at all. Life's a gas.


Marc Bolan on the Cilia Black Show doing "Mad Donna" and "Life's a Gas".


Belle & Sebastian, "Sukie in the Graveyard"

2 comments:

  1. Is that a dead body up against your fence?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally not. Totally not a dead body at all. Don't even worry about it. Not even my fence.

    ReplyDelete