Friday, August 12, 2011

You need a trip on the Davis ship!


This has to be the most precious office desk tableau on the Internet. Oh... I used to like to work to vinyl but now I prefer working to shellac. Do you see my book in the background? See what I did there?

Wednesday:
The Tony Williams Lifetime, Ego
tUnE-yArDs, W H O K I L L
Vivian Girls, Everything Goes Wrong
Kurt Vile, Childish Prodigy
Curb Your Enthusiasm

In-between:
Matthew Barney, Cremaster 2 on YouTube

Thursday:
Giant Sand, Black Out
Jimmie Davis 78's
Dickie Landry, Solo
Christopher Bowers-Broadbent, Messiaen: Meditations
Wye Oak, Civilian
Louie

In between:
Malcolm Gladwell, What the Dog Saw

Friday:
James Gleick, The Information
Eleanor Friedberger, Last Summer
Peter Bruntnell, Black Mountain U.F.O.
More 78's
Blitzen Trapper, Destroyer of the Void
Lou Reed & John Cale, Songs For Drella: A Fiction

Patti Smith, Peace and Noise and Easter
László Kasznnahorkai, War and War
  • Thursday was supposed to be a writing/errand day but it pleasantly diverted into a 78rpm appreciation of the weirdness of the Singing Governor Jimmie Davis. What you need is a trip, a trip on the Davis ship!


    Jimmie Davis, "I Got News For You"

  • I don't know what the Cremaster film cycle is about, nor am I sure that they are about anything, and I have not been able to watch one all the way through, and yet, I still think they are great. The bit in C2 where they part a curtain of bees and boom! there is a vagina (1:15) being penetrated by a penis that has a beehive at the tip (4:45) is something. And the bit with the drummer from Slayer sorta being Johnny Cash is cool.


    Matthew Barney, Cremaster 2 Part (2/9)

  • I did get a lot of work done on the day I took off from work so I could work on my other work. I don't know if that is the American Dream or the rude awakening from it. Made me think of this:


    Lou Reed & John Cale, "Work"

  • I love smart TV sitcoms. They are like finding a Godiva truffle at the bottom of a bag of store brand iced cookies.

  • I brought Maya's record player up to the office to record a thing broadcasting soon on Public Radio and now I'm gonna crackle out this Friday out with a bunch of old 78's from my grandma's house that likely haven't been played since this very day in 1877 when Thomas Edison completed his first phonograph. More than once already I've been too distracted to flip the record over,and the crackly hiss of the needle bouncing off the center label is the best white noise generator there is.

No comments:

Post a Comment