Friday, June 24, 2011

let's-go-to-the-ice-cream-store-and-then-go-get-hot-dogs


The jalapeño "kolache", technically a klobasnek, from Thee Heavenly Donut.

Tom Franklin, Cooked Letter, Crooked Letter
Owl City, All Things Bright and Beautiful
The Dixie Dregs, Night of the Living Dregs
Yo-Yo Ma,  Appalachian Journey
Can, Saw Delight
Talking Heads, Stop Making Sense
  • There are some jarring aggro moments among the brilliantly polished 'n' smoothed corners on the new Owl City record. I addressed Owl City on this as I drove Maya to art camp. I said, "OK, Owl City, I don't know if that's really you with all that shoutin'." and Maya added, "I know! You're more of a let's-go-to-the-ice-cream-store-and-then-go-get-hot-dogs guy, Owl City, not a crazy, 'Helter Skelter' shouty guy." The Force is strong in this one.


    Owl City, "Kamikaze"

  • I always have it in my head that the Dixie Dregs are Southern Rock par excellante when they instead are more of a Yes, y'all, fusion chamber wonk cabal. There's a part right here that sounds like Bernie Worrell's synth lines for Talking Heads' Stop Making Sense.  And now, a few minutes later, it's all a pissing-match fiddle/guitar hoedown battle for the Kountry Kozmos. Like that Yo-Yo Ma Appalachian record 'cept more co-caine.
  • Tom Franklin is so subtly good in Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter. Like at first, I felt this was like Mark Richard or Breece D'J Pancake without the lyrical high-wire (which was the best facet of Franklin's Smonk. I've kinda forgetten some of the plot points but will lug around some of those phrases for years to come.) until I realized it was 1:30 in the morning and I still wanted to keep reading. It's like standing up and finding out your body is drunker than your brain is and weaving around the debate over ordering just one more.
  • I have been listening to Can's Saw Delight off-and-on for two decades now and just got the joke in the title.


    Can, "Don't Say No"

  • It's been a while since I searched for myself on YouTube.

    Here I am winning the BBC Young Composers award for my piece "Owl, Hunting"


    and here I am dancing in the gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment