Thursday, October 8, 2009

wait atop those stairs



Edgard Varèse - "Ecuatorial" (via ANABlog) there are worse ways to start my morning than two theremins and an orchestra falling down the stairs. If I ever need to completely give up caffeine then I will install two theremins at Highland Coffees as part of my morning ritual, and will retain the services of a small orchestra to wait atop those stairs in the courtyard and fall down them when I finish playing my theremins.

Gorky's Zygotic Mynci - Sleep/Holiday - Hey, I like these guys. truth be told the name put me off. Its struck me as too much, like the guy that instead of punctuating a quip with "that's when I reach for my revolver," slyly checking to see if you are hip to the falsely attributed Hermann Goering quote, or at least the Mission of Burma song (but not the Moby remake) will instead say "that's when I reach for my sawed-off semi-automatic with hollow-point rounds." Too much. Shot is shot, OK? Anyway, good band, this Gorky's Zygotic Mynci is.

Devendra Banhart - Rejoice in the Hands (listen) Somewhere down the line when Devendra Banhart is wearing a skirt and playing a lute as the new Sting, doing shmaltzy duets with whoever becomes the new Celine Dion on a PBS special during fundraiser week, I will contend that just like Sting, he was actually cool once.


Memory Tapes - "Treeship" (via their We're Tapes blog) Downloading this lovely song is the thing to do today. You may think, "I don't have 22 minutes to put toward a song by a band I've never heard of much less one that doesn't have words," but I contend you do, and you are just being like that.

And if you insist on being like that, just stare at this image, unrelated to the song, from their blog for a couple minutes like I just did. You will get roughly the same effect an a quarter the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment