Friday, October 30, 2009

"like a knife" cuts



Gweneth-ann Jeffers & Stephen De Pledge - Olivier Messiaen's "Poemes Pour Mi"
(listen) Messiaen cuts right through me, less like a ghost, more like a new interstate and I am an impoverished neighborhood with lousy city council representation. Or maybe I mean the way a petty thief cuts through a yard after robbing the house next door, but not exactly trespassing per se. I know I don't mean "like a knife" cuts, or anything gastro-intestinal in nature. I just know I've been cut through when it's done.


Iron & Wine and Calexico - In the Reins - I started to listen to "Not Even Stevie Nicks" again, wishing for some sort of union between the odd warbling of Messiaen's singers, themselves engaged in a suite of songs about marriage, and the assured windswept Cinerama of when Joey Burns croons "into the bluuuuuuueeeeeee...." but I didn't do it. Instead I return for the first time in forever to this lovely little marriage of a record and every time the "Mexican Opera Guy" kicks in at 1:45, it chokes me up a little and I wanna kiss the bride.



The Books - The Lemon of Pink (listen) This too. For all of the above. This is some ways is "even more than Stevie Nicks", at least for a second before the birds carry it away.

No comments:

Post a Comment