Thursday, March 4, 2010

rough 'n' pleasant



Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, "The Adventures of Grandmaster Flash on the Wheels of Steel" (via BoingBoing)
DJ Spooky That Subliminal Kid feat. Mad Professor & Lee "Scratch" Perry - Dubometry (lala)
Ayatollah - Now Playing (lala)

I like how my building looks like a haunted mansion at night, which I guess it sorta is. It is the oldest standing building on campus and I've heard there is a ghost, but have neither witnessed it nor heard the phantasmagorical details.

I also like how Ruffin G. Pleasant sounds like rough 'n' pleasant. How I like it, yo.


Here is a portrait of the old fellow.



As 36th Governor of Louisiana from 1916-1920, Pleasant got us ready for WWI, a big topic around our house as of late. He was born in Shiloh, LA and fought in the Spanish-American war as a lieutenant-colonel of the First Louisiana Regiment of Infantry.

The Pleasants had a way with badass names: his parents were Benjamin Franklin Pleasant and the former Martha Washington Duty.

I got all this from Wikipedia. I thought about saying the ghost told me all this but I don't like to unnecessarily mess with dark forces. Ruffin had a stormy relationship with Huey P. Long over the years and dig this salacious bit about his poor wife Anne:
Anne Ector Pleasant died in 1934 after accidentally drinking a poisonous antiseptic in a dark bathroom in their Shreveport home. She was the founder and headmistress of Pleasant Hall, a coed private school in Shreveport. She had sued then U.S. Senator Huey Long for having caused her to be arrested on false charges and for having demeaned her as a "drunken cursing woman" when she sought to examine state public records in the Capitol in Baton Rouge.
Maybe she's the ghost, forever looking to kick the Kingfish's ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment