Sunday, March 21, 2010

5 things about Infinite Jest



I'm on page 95, not yet remembering to put the Year of the Depend Adult Undergarment on checks, so I imagine plenty will be revealed. Here are a few impressions.

• So much more readable than I thought it would be. Also funnier.
• He will footnote the life out of abused prescription drugs, but not anti-depressnts. Some drugs are boring medicine and some medicines are covetable drugs.
• I wonder the meaning of single quotes as the primary voicing mark. DFW was, from what I gather, into the precision of syntax so maybe the enormity is being related by an unseen conversationalist as opposed to an omniscient narrator.
• Big surprise that a 1000+ page book, so far, revolves largely around pot.
• I started this out on Kindle/iPhone and thought the hyperlinking of footnotes and the favorable weight ratio btw my phone and a 1000+ page book would make it a great candidate for e-media, but it's better on paper with the fussiness of two bookmarks and the pretentious gusto of its heft.

I don't know if it's related, but just as I started reading the paper and ink version, I'm suddenly again into the Damient Hirst-themed teapot I got on sale at Urban Outfitters last year.



1 comment:

  1. The entire book is very readable and very funny.
    It becomes less about pot as the story progresses. In fact, the guy in the beginning who goes all out on the pot tip doesn't really have much to do with the rest of the story.
    I couldn't imagine reading the book any other way than in book form. The interactive nature of using 2 bookmarks (I actually used 3, with another to mark the page where the subsidized years are explained) adds a lot to the experience.
    Please get in touch with me when you finish reading it. I love discussing this book with people, but most people I talk to never finish it.

    ReplyDelete