Friday, June 28, 2013

When a pretty lady asks if you want a turkey wing

teddys01
Product placement. This plus a bowl of ice and two more glasses comprised the setup we made work of at Teddy's Juke Joint last night.

teddys02
I've been a million times and still feel like there is more there than I will really ever process. I took the guy behind 50 Miles of Elbow Room and the Rev. Charle Jackson albums out there to interview him. Look for the piece in the August issue of Country Roads.

Speaking of Country Roads, in the July issue, I look at the case being made for Hattiesburg, MS as the birthplace of rock 'n' roll.  It's on newsstands or you can read it here.

Here is exhibit A in that case.


Mississippi Jook Band, "Barbecue Bust"

teddys03
Meanwhile, back at Teddy's...

teddys04
It was a slow night and Teddy's wife, Nancy, was up behind the bar wanting to know if we needed anything. Need? When a pretty lady asks if you want a turkey wing, you say, "yes."

teddys05
One of the things I love about being in the glittering dazzle of Teddy's is that there is a sense that you are not exactly in control but not out of control, either. For instance, my camera was balking at the blinking lights and basically put up a message that said, let me do my thing, so I did, and this is its thing.




No comments:

Post a Comment