Friday, June 28, 2013

The Music of 6/23/2013 - 6/28/2013


If the slideshow doesn't work for you, view the whole thing on Storify.

Fine-looking boys.


Alex V. Cook, "When the Night"

Hey, I wrote and recorded a song this week. Played on my old, no-brand baritone uke and recorded on my laptop. This started out being a variation on a Van Morrison song and turned more into a Violent Femmes song. Which is just as well; I just listened to Van Morrison and I am no Van Morrison. Not that I am a Violent Femme by any stretch, either. I like the song a YouTube upload's worth.


Gordon Gano + Lost Bayou Ramblers, "Blister in the Sun"

I was telling someone about when I saw Gordon Gano from les Femmes play with Lost Bayou Ramblers and we ran into him in the little hostel part of the Blue Moon and he was wearing a hat that made him look like a garden gnome and the woman that was with us was all in. to. that.

My gnome hat is off to Gordon Gano. It's an amazing thing to write a simple song like "Blister in the Sun" that everybody likes. I mean, everybody. Who doesn't like that song?

I'm still pretty sure I don't really care for Randy Newman, though I do really like the chapter in Greil Marcus' MYSTERY TRAIN on him.



No comments:

Post a Comment