Wednesday, November 12, 2008

can't go back to your Fordland



Somebody put up a YouTube playlist (here) of the entire Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band Trout Mask Replica album, and for that I am thankful. It's one of those records that I always want to keep in hand for emergencies, like one would epi pen or bungee cords. If I were a more industrious sort, I'd put up a couple of these things for safekeeping, records that I buy and keep losing like Ogurusu Norhide's Modern and Ramsay Midwood's Shootout at the OK Chinese Restaurant. I want to can them like peaches and store them in the basement for the lean months. Thanks mousetrapreplica91!

I am very much enamored with Fordlandia, the new album by Jóhann Jóhannsson , a lush string-section-y tone poem ostensibly about the failed forced-Americana utopia Henry Ford tried to establish in the Brazillian jungle so that he could monopolize the rubber trade. Jóhannsson is from the infectious future-retro Apparat Organ Quintet, whose "Konami" you can witness below



Here is the video for "The Sun's Gone Dim and the Sky's Gone Black" from his first concept album IBM 1401: A User Manual to give you a taste


but Fordlandia roams in a higher order of loveliness. Aching and gorgeous and still completely pop-accessible. More in depth review forthcoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment