Friday, February 1, 2008

Country Roads: Savoy Music Center

In the February 2008 issue of Country Roads:

Savoy Music Center
A transcendent Cajun music experience, for the price of a pound of boudin.
By Alex V. Cook
February 2008

I woke up to 2008 in the grip of anxiety. Not the crippling kind, or not completely anyway, but with
the shudder of the unknown I feel as I pass through any barrier, be it the glass doors of an office building or a new page on a freshly unwrapped calendar, and the only way to counter this is to bolster myself with the familiar and plunge headlong into the new. So as I’m flipping through music to listen to on my iPod, the vast landscape of all my sonic obsessions contained in a shiny aluminum and plastic box, I happen on Richard Buckner’s The Hill, a thirty-three minute song cycle based on Edgar Lee Masters’ Spoon River Anthology. Buckner’s dense acoustic tangles and haunting mountain man baritone are the perfect traveling partners as I jet across the Atchafalaya Basin, concrete, brown trees and a cloudy sky layered like blankets, on my way to the Savoy Music Center. Read more...

Also, here is a flickr set of more photos from this story

No comments:

Post a Comment