Monday, October 1, 2012

posting pictures of your meals is not journalism

cameliagrill01
The post-symposium hamburger I had at the French Quarter outpost of the Camellia Grill after the symposium. It holds true to that which makes the hamburger at the Riverbend location so special.

Friday:
The Oxford American Journalism Symposium in New Orleans

Saturday:
The Cramps, Off the Bone
Leaving Trains, Emotional Legs
The Woggles, Teen Dance Party and Soul Sizzling 7" Meltdown

Monday:
Various Artists, A Perfumed Garden Vol.1 
Lord Huron, Lonesome Dreams (streaming now at NPR)

"Posting pictures of your meals is not journalism" is one of the points I got from the panel discussions at The Oxford American Symposium on Journalism in New Orleans on Friday. There were a lot of other great points made. The symposium had an unfortunate synchrony with the end of the Times-Picayune's run as a daily - it starts this week as a three-day-a-week paper -  so there was an understandable amount of heat on the subject, but I wanted some cooking up of ideas to utilize that heat.

There were more thoughts on the symposium and the newspaper business and teaching journalism abrew in this post, but I decided to work on articles instead of talking about working on articles. Like the one for the aforementioned sponsors of the aforementioned symposium, being it was past deadline.

I also managed to get in a couple of good meals on Friday.

cameliagrill02_Snapseed
I did my best to blur out the innocent in this photo of the orange freeze at Camellia Grill, but really, it is like trying to get a shot of the Tower of Pisa without someone trying to hold it up. All apologies if I accidentally revealed you enjoying a hamburger.

Speaking of journalism, in the new issue of OffBeat I have a loving review of the Au Ras Au Ras album, and a less gushy take on the Johnny Angel album.

In Country Roads, I detail my weekend at the deluxe cabins at Chicot State Park, help make some fancy donuts at Tiger Deaux-Nuts and try to find the right metaphor for shutters at Lafayette's alternative venue The Feed and Seed. I really like whatever this is that I do.

Untitled
The pre-symposium Breaux Bridge Benedict at Stanley. It is as monumental  a breakfast as it appears. That's a boudin patty up in there if your were wondering.

And hey! I noticed during the symposium that this little blog crossed the 200,000 page views mark. You should take me to lunch to celebrate! I'll post pictures!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your blog reaching 200,000 page views! And that Breaux Bridge Benedict looks delightful.

    ReplyDelete