Thursday, October 11, 2012

caught between the octopus and the cheesecake

caught
from the Work/Shop cardboard party on Saturday

Tuesday:
Ernest Ranglin, Guitar Ska Roots
The Black Seeds, Dust and Dirt
Matthew Dear, Beams
Pantha Du Prince, Black Noise
Carsten Jost, You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
Liquid Liquid, Liquid Liquid
H.P. Lovecraft, The Collected Short Stories

Wednesday:
John Lee Hooker, House Rent Boogie
Padgett Powell, You & Me

Thursday:
Junior Kimbrough edited by Daft Punk
Lightnin' Hopkins, Sessions

Searching my phone photos for meaning, for context in which to place this day, the best I can come up with is that I am caught between the octopus and the cheesecake.

I read "The Moon-Bog" by H. P. Lovecraft last night and like every time I read a Lovecraft story, I don't know what I read, I didn't really enjoy the writing style, and yet I still kind of liked it. Maybe I just like saying "Moon Bog" in my head. Who doesn't?

I started reading the new Padgett Powell book You & Me and oh wow, oh my. That guy is doing some high trapeze art with plain old language. It might a homespun reduction of Waiting for Godot that is then built back up in to a high art that re-crumbles during its ascension to Higher Thought. It might be the rambling of idiots. It might be the earth whispering its secrets in the form of a joke. I'm not sure what it is but oh. It's good.


I don't know if I'm going to make Padgett Powell's noon reading at the Southern Festival of Books on Friday unless I drive into a time-space anomaly somewhere around Jackson, MS. I'm not saying Jackson doesn't have one; I believe to the contrary. It's just unlikely I'll drive trough it while navigating the twistiness of I-55.

My panel discussion with Ben Sandmel is:
Saturday, October 13
3:00-4:00 pm, Nashville Public Library, Special Collections Room
Me-Oh My-Oh From K-Doe to Bayou: People and Place in Louisiana Music
Alex Cook, Ben Sandmel
Y'all come!
caught2
from the break room yesterday

No comments:

Post a Comment