Friday, March 27, 2009

reelin' in the years, part 4


1978: Magazine - Real Life (listen) Somehow I've never listened to this one. I had the Peter Murphy solo record containing his cover of Magazine's 'The Light Pours Out of Me" and remember a song or two from my college radio years, and was a veritable Buzzcocks nut for much of that time, I pretty sure I even had the Luxuria record at some point, so there is really no excuse for not hearing this album until now except that there is only so much time.
1979: Mick Taylor - Mick Taylor (listen) Give it up to Mick Taylor, the only guy cool enough to join the Rolling Stones during their finest period (Let it Bleed through Goats Head Soup) and then smart enough to get out when said period was over. This is great, little, unassuming adult bluesy pop record from the Nick Lowe school of great, little, unassuming adult bluesy pop records. This song is soft rock magic:

1980: Swell Maps - Jane from Occupied Europe (listen) I've listened all around this record - Nikki Sudden, Epic Soundtracks, etc - but never to the record proper. I picked up soem other Swell Maps record ages ago when i first heard their name and thought, meh, and chalked it up to hype and let others rave about them unabated by my meh-ness. With Jane, I join their raving ranks

No comments:

Post a Comment