Friday, March 27, 2009

I blame Slint

Or possibly the economy, but I'm thinking it was Slint that edged me out.

I had a proposal on the shortlist for a 33 1/3 book about Steve Reich's "Music for 18 Musicians" that regrettably did not make it to the even shorter list.

No sour grapes whatsoever; the editors at Continuum could not have been nicer about the whole process.

From the 33 1/3 blog:

...and then there were 27

So.

We've gone from 170 down to 27. (Fingers crossed, everybody who was in the 170 has received an email from me tonight, either way.)

I wish we could sign up all 27 of these (actually, I wish we could sign up dozens more of the 170), but we can't. This is what we're left with, for now. By the end of April, we'll be able to post the final, final list of books that we will sign up. Until then, discuss, debate, whinge, moan, celebrate, and speculate! I'm off on vacation for a week...Thanks for bearing with me, everybody.

***

AC/DC - Highway to Hell
Aretha Franklin - Amazing Grace
The Beatles - The Beatles
Bob Dylan - Time Out of Mind
The Cramps - Songs the Lord Taught Us
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
Devo - Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo
Dinosaur Jr: You're Living All Over Me
ELO - Out of the Blue
Grateful Dead - Closing of Winterland
Johnny Cash - American Recordings
Kiss - Destroyer
Leonard Cohen - Songs of Leonard Cohen
Lil' Wayne - Da Drought 3
Liz Phair - Exile in Guyville
Lou Reed - Metal Music Machine
Neil Young - Tonight's the Night
Operation Ivy - Energy
Paul Simon - Graceland
Radiohead - Kid A
Rolling Stones - Some Girls
Slint - Spiderland
Television - Marquee Moon
Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes
Ween - Chocolate and Cheese
White Stripes - White Blood Cells
Young Marble Giants - Colossal Youth


2 comments:

  1. Looks like 33 1/3 are sucking in the '70s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! So funny that you should find my blog this morning, and lead me to yours where I find this post... I wrote the Slint proposal!

    ReplyDelete