Friday, March 6, 2009

an afternoon pursuant of the elusive and the specific, ending at the ridiculous


Kevin Coyne & The Paradise Band - Wild Tiger Love (lala) Were a pentagram with Robyn Hitchcock, Daniel Johnston, Jimmy Buffet, Levon Helm, and Roky Erickson as the points to be drawn in the sand volleyball court of a recently shuttered beach-theme bar in the rainy season, a perfect top-shelf margarita would magically appear at the center, with this CD serving as the coaster. Yet, this isn't what I was looking for.
Big Star - Columbia: Live at Missouri University 4/25/93 (lala) This is good, but the live setting beefs up the fragility of Big Star to a point that I'm not sure serves the songs, or what I go to those songs for. The power-ballad version of Chris Bell's solo masterpiece "I Am the Cosmos" is good for a lark, but this record isn't it either.

Drivin' N' Cryin' - Fly Me Courageous (lala) This is shockingly close to for which the current frame of mind calls, and it is possible that I am not quite willing to admit with accuracy that I am in a Drivin' N' Cryin' state of mind. I don't even want to know if I am in a Black Crowes state, so I'll just back away from that direction.
Ian Hunter - Once Bitten Twice Shy (lala) ... getting warmer...
David Essex - Rock On (lala) ...I'm on the verge....
Blue Öyster Cult - Cultösaurus Erectus (lala) DING DING DING! From the opening swoosh then stadium geetar rush of "Black blade," I knew that that wizardry's my trade and I was born to wade through gore. Sure, I want to be a lover and not a red-eyed screamin' ghoul, and wish it'd picked another to be its killing tool, but the call of the cult must be öbeyed! "Black Blade" is what God listens to when he goes over to hang out at Odin's bachelor apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment