Thursday, July 2, 2009

LSU Museum of Geoscience



Maya came up to work for lunch and we took a spin through the LSU Museum of Geoscience which is scattered throughout the Howe-Russell Geoscience building. Diorama and OG science fair-tastic. I love (sincerely) that this is less a formal museum than it is displays lining the hallways of actual laboratories and classrooms. Also, true to Baton Rouge form, I have been working on campus for a year and been up around campus for 20 years, and I had no idea there was an Allosaurus (means "different lizard") just hanging around but 100 yards from where I go get my coffee in the afternoon.




Dig this groovy diorama of a burial mound against Van Gogh skies, with skeleton details. I love dioramas and super soothing orderly taxonomies of minerals. It made me want to drop everything and become a geologist or anthropologist or at least the guy whose quiet profession it is to make kickass vintage teaching displays of Science!


1 comment:

  1. Howe-Russell Geoscience complex.
    Home to Randy, and my former home for 4 years.
    And other assundried Geographic & Anthropologic characters.

    ReplyDelete