Thursday, May 24, 2012

A moment of nostalgia about the Stone Roses


The Stone Roses, "(Song For My) Sugar Spun Sister"


Thursday:
The Stone Roses, The Stone Roses 

This bit in the Guardian takes me right to the halcyon days of 1989, trying to get a bunch of normals in a van on some college trip to latch onto my Stone Roses tape, the most normal tape I had in my bag. Jangle was on the wane, ready to be usurped by dance music and grunge, things normal people could readily appreciate. The Stone Roses holds up reasonably well.  I remember one blond girl in the van giving a conciliatory head bob to"(Song For My) Sugar Spun Sister', perhaps seeing herself in the candy floss girl therein. I remember thinking, just hang in there for "Made of Stone" - it's the heavy, wicked song:

Your pink fat lips let go a scream
You fry and melt and I love the scene.

In retrospect, a car crash song wouldn't have soundtracked the magic moment in a crowded van careening down I-10. I was in that phase of young adulthood where you read Crash and wreckage seems romantic, a sensuous abstraction.  "That shit" got switched off by the voting majority and the sugar spun sister dutifully bobbed to the radio, like a normal person. I don't even remember the occasion or designation of the trip. Just that momentary pity nod. That is all the adoration a boy really needs.


The Stone Roses, "I Wanna Be Adored"

No comments:

Post a Comment