Friday, December 2, 2011

metal on the brain


The kiln in the sculpture building is so metal, even if though it is actually brick.

Joan Didion, The Year of Magical Thinking
The Atlas Moth, A Glorified Piece of Blue Sky 
Liturgy, Aesthethica
Wolves in the Throne Room, Celestial Lineage
  • I'm letting the black glow of Brandon Stousy's "The Top 40 Metal Albums of 2011" for Pitchfork guide my way today. Liturgy, listed his addendum, is like Ragnarok on Ice; graceful and causes one to occasionally gasp.


    Liturgy, "Returner"

    Baton Rouge's DIY-meets-D&D horde Thou makes the list twice!
        
  • The Year of Magical Thinking(cross posted at Goodreads)  The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion
    My rating: 4 of 5 stars

    Luminous. I'm embarrassed to admit this is the first Joan Didion book I have read. As you probably already know, it's full of meditative simple lines about death and grief and moving on but the one that keeps ringing in my head is "I just can't see an upside in this." I don't think I've ever read a more honest reaction to death. Or to anything.

    Joan Didion is kinda metal when you think about it. She goes into suburban darkness, embracing her excesses while exposing the rawest parts of our humanity.
        
  • People got metal on the brain today. It's all the rage on my friend's list, even rage against it, and my boy Randy posted this wonder.


    Alternate Reality, "The King That Never Was". Not enough back story.
       
  • If I may take this a rung lower, New Orleans, LA's own Pacifist.


    Pacifist, "Happiness". Not safe for work. Or home.
  • Someone from Thou commented that Liturgy was "hipster metal" and I contend that if it was "hipster dad metal", it would fit my exact demographic. I understand those who see little delineation among these three videos, which is what I appreciate about metal. It goes deeper into the hearts of American peculiarity and anxiety than any other music. I actually like Liturgy a lot and already regret pointing anyone to Pacifist even before hitting "publish".

    I got to Pacifist by a mere two YouTube recommendation clicks from Liturgy, so I'll admit, metal is a fine, brutal line to walk.


    Wolves in the Throne Room, "Thuja Magus Imperium" 

1 comment:

  1. Coincidentally, last week I read my first two Joan Didion books, Slouching Towards Bethelem and Run River. I suppose the latter is rural Sacramento darkness. The former is mostly memorable for an essay on how ridiculous people were in the The Haight circa the summer of 1967.

    ReplyDelete