Friday, January 2, 2009

must be trippin'


Love - Forever Changes (lala) - Not that this record needs any improvement whatsoever, I'd love to hear it remade by a crack Baroque chamber orchestra on period instruments (lute, fife, harpsichord, etc) with Julian Cope as the singer
Calexico - Carried to Dust (no link) - This more than made up for there being no Fleetwood Mac on my phone (perhaps that is a resolution in the making) that I wanted to hear after Forever Changes. This might have moved onto my formal top 10 of 2008.
Gavin Bryars' String Quartets (lala) - I don't know if they stand up with the finest of his work, or specifically A Listening Room from the other day, but those little wavering, quaverying tones added a touch o hyperspeed needed for the drive down to my parents yesterday.
Guided By Voices - Bee Thousand (lala) - Twice on the ride back. Even though this is one of my all-time favorite records, I was a little surprised I still know al the words to all of it, considering the words don't make any lateral sense
Yes - Relayer (lala) I think this is the same record that bore me home as last time I drove back from my parents' a month ago. But then it does kind of seem like the same trip every time, so, why not.
Neil Young and Crazy Horse - Greendale (lala) Somehow I've never listened to this record all the way through, even though I think the first couple of songs are precisely what I want when I come to Neil Young - simple, trudging, a little relentless, heavy as hell but manageable. And I didn't listen to it all the way this tiime either, because I got distracted by this excellent WFMU's Sound and Safe with Trent playlist that starts with Animal Collective and goes into even lovlier directions.

2 comments:

  1. I was into Bee Thousand until I saw GBV and got another few GBV albums. The endless shows and compulsive output of half-developed ideas made the whole enterprise seem nutty in a not-funny way. And the lyrics that fans called "elliptical" or non-linear were actually word soup - automatic and easy. Funny how if I'd have stopped with that album, I'd likely think about it very differently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dug them through Mag Earwhig. When they tried to go legit, like with actual production values they kinda lost me. GBV, especially Bee Thousand and Under the Bushes sits as a will-to-power rock, a guy with no business being a rock star (late 30's, high school teacher, not much more skill than loving the Who and Cheap Trick a lot going for him) suddenly becoming a rock star.

    I saw them live in Kansas City in 2002 as a last minute addition on a big outdoor festival, and he was, of course, drunk and doing the Elvis karate kicks and all and the transparency in his deal became, well, clear.

    ReplyDelete