Friday, April 25, 2008

Today's Soundtrack: 4/25/2008

It was largely a swinging affair, with a marked introspective slant, occasionally punctuated with bursts of controlled sultriness - not dissimilar to a cocktail party in the academic set.

Stereolab - Cobra and Phases Group Play Voltage in the Milky Night

I think I like the title of this record more than the music, but I like the title a lot.

Martin Denny - The Exotic Sounds of Martin Denny

This one was for old times' sake, back when I did a lounge music show on KBRH, but it holds up remarkably well.

Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66 - Look Around

Unlike Mr. Denny, Sr. Mendes doesn't really hold up all that well.

Cal Tjader - Soul Sauce

The Platonic concept of cool is best expressed in vibraphone form.

The Books - The Lemon of Pink

I've tried to listen to The Books record about 10 time before, but this is the first time it stuck. Perhaps the air conditioning and shade of institutional green in my office provide the perfect terra firma for their brittle yet very human electronica to thrive.

Bill Evans - Homecoming: Live at Southeastern Louisiana University 1979

This job calls for a lot of white noise, and in many ways Bill Evans is the whitest noise of all. Lovely and endearingly innocuous.

The Ramsey Lewis Trio - The In Crowd

I love the audience rumbling in the opening track. I wish my everyday life involved a room full of murmuring people that every once in a while yelled "YEAH" when I did something right. Soul claps would be nice too.

Brother Jack McDuff - Do It Now

I had a Barfly experience recently, opening the door to a motel room to the assault of brutal daylight, and though this is not Booker T and the MG's, it will more than suffice.

Curtis Mayfield - Sweet Exorcist

And we shall strut out of this day with some obscure, smooth, bugged-out soul-funk.

No comments:

Post a Comment