Thursday, November 22, 2012

ow wow

Untitled-3

This tableau met me at the bus stop the other day. It's like that Magritte painting, The Empire of Light, where the sky is day but the trees are night.

Friday:
Eyehategod, Confederacy of Ruined Lives
UFOmammut, ORO: Opus Primum and Eve
Gallon Drunk, The Road Gets Darker from Here
Drive-By Truckers, The Fine Print
Richard Buckner, Since and Devotion + Doubt
The Drones, Havilah

Untitled-4

This little little rhombus of creation whispered its good mornings on Saturday.

Saturday:
Gary Clark, Jr., Black and Blu
Crime & the City Solution, Shine
The Gun Club, The Las Vegas Story
Dave Eggers, A Hologram for the King

Untitled-5

This is a picture my spirit donut. Actually my spirit donut is the vanilla jalapeño from Tiger Deaux-Nuts, but I ate it before I could take a picture. Their key lime is my runner up spirit donut.

This is what I thought of A Hologram for the King.

A Hologram for the KingA Hologram for the King by Dave Eggers
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I really liked this book until it came to a shuddering close and then the air was left empty from the vacuum of architectural spectacle. Eggers can put together a sentence and can skateboard around the parking garage of ennui and do interesting tricks. He can even make me overlook the tired slump-can't-quite-get-busy-with-this-woman-out-of-his-league-who-wants-him-too thing until it happens a second time and I'm like, wait a second, and then the book is done. Snapped off like a hologram itself. Poof.

I mentioned to my wife that it started out as a Waiting for Godot thing and she questioned why I'm surprised it wasn't all that good. Point taken. Maybe I should start reading books where things happen in them. Surely existential crisis can find a literary bedfellow in a chase scene or shoot-out or something.

Tuesday:
Lee Hazlewood, A House Safe for Tigers
Sonic Rendezvous Band, Live Masonic Auditorium, Detroit, 01/14/1978
Drunk Horse, In Tongues



This is the greatest song ever. Everything on this week's sonic docket was good but, ow wow, Sonic Rendezvous Band is just the best band.

Wednesday:
Blurt, Smoke Time
Medium Medium, Hungry, So Angry
Dub Narcotic Sound System, Hand Clappin'
The Delta 72, The R&B of Membership and The Soul of the New Machine



This was thanksgiving 2012. I'm thankful for my family, the bounty we enjoy and the ability to share pictures of food over the internet. In the future when we are fed by thought waves and glucose patches and are post-food, we will be still posting pictures of green bean casseroles on Pinterest every Thanksgiving out of habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment