Thursday, October 18, 2007

Outsideleft: Jazz Vs. The Chicago Underground Trio

Being the music snob that I am, I’ve struggled with jazz, since along with blues and classical, its one of the staples of the snob diet, and I can appreciate some jazz though I lack a real jazz snob’s devotion. When I look at the piles of reissues and decades of discs available, all those names and instruments, it’s as daunting as trying to instantly become a baseball fan. Real fandom calls for the encyclopedic knowledge of coaches, players and positions and thickets of pedigrees, who played where with whom and when and why and I cannot muster the interest. I believe writing about music should be about the music and the listener, not the genealogies and resumes and mythologies of those making the music. Read More....

No comments:

Post a Comment