Saturday, February 27, 2010

Bask in them






In order of appearance from the last 24 hours: The mighty Andre Williams (subject of my OA Music Issue piece) at Chelsea's last night, a succinct hour of old school rock 'n' roll laid out by a 76-year-old bad muthafucka. I got a signed copy of his book Sweets and Other Stories. Notice the blue lizard skin shoes that match his suit, or as my friend Jerry put it, "Bask in them." Videos forthcoming; an unexpected treasure trove of 78's from my parents' house including: "Love is Strange" by Mickey and Sylvia, "Diddley Daddy" by Bo Diddley, "Why Do Fools Fall in Love?" by the Teardrops featuring Frankie Lymon, and, my personal favorite, "Life Problem"/"Congo Mombo" by Guitar Gable and the Musical Kings, highlighted on the Ponderosa Stomp site;My mom's breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches, and; a delicious strawberry-filled first birthday cake for my sweet ol' niece Luna who I finally had the pleasure to meet today.

Not pictured: A 78 of Hank Williams' "Hey, Good Lookin'", a three color 45 sleeve for Jimmie "The Singing Governor" Davis' "You Are My Sunshine", a couple of Red Sovine sides, a 45 of the Beatles' "I Wanna Hold Your Hand", and a bound set of 78's by Fred Lowery entitled Whistling For You.

Here is Fred performing "Lola" with Betty Hutton and the Victor Lopez Orchestra.

No comments:

Post a Comment