Sunday, November 20, 2011

party

Image


The Tedeschi Trucks Band, Revelator
Otis Rush, Otis's Blues
Buddy Guy, Blue on Blues
Haruki Murakami, 1Q84



  • I could listen to Susan Tedeschi do ahhhohhhwaaahoooo blues inflection 50x in a song and love it. Problem is, she does ~60x on every song on Revelator. The album is smooth as God's own artisan bourbon and it did get the bathroom scrubbed but I don't know that is the highest praise I can give a record.

  • Otis's Blues, though, I was into every micron of that one. Anyone know who the female singer on "Maybe the Last Time" is? Blues aficionados can probably ID her from a mile away but I will cozy up to my ignorance. The Internet seems devoid of this crucial bit of info.

  • I sent my query into the cloud, or to the hive - which is it when you ask Facebook? I was talking social media and Spotify and digital stuff at that party last night - do not let that detail besmirch the image of a "party"; there was beer and girls there too - with a couple professorial types - if one is an adjunct, can one consider oneself in that type? The conversation turned to tenure, which is outside whatever professorial purview I might claim. Anyway, someone said, "yeah, but aren't all these websites fads?" and yes, they are, but the information strategies aren't.

  • One fellow traveller thought the singer in question might be Little Walter. I thought it was a woman. I mean, generally, all those Little guys can rock a mean falsetto, but some spot checks through the Little Walter catalog confirms it ain't him. I'm going to eat some black eyed peas and see if the answer doesn't appear to me.

  • Turns out it was not even Otis Rush on the album. The song is Big Momma Thornton, the rest of the record is Muddy Waters and B. B. King. The Internet proper was all wrong, but the Internet improper through crowd sourcing got it right. Like I said, it's the strategy that matters. This crowd sourcing, even though it was among people I knew in real life, would have never have happened without the connective tissue of Facebook. And I'm already tired of this point. Maybe that's why I don't get invited to very many parties.



No comments:

Post a Comment