Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Almost to all the almosts


The new splash park by the new dog park at the new Forest Park, all in effect.

Gregory Isaacs, Soon Forward
Fat Freddy's Drop, Dr. Boondigga & The Big BW
Erykah Badu, New Amerikay Part 2: Return of the Ankh
D'Angelo, Voodoo 
Dwele, Some Kinda... 
Rasheem DeVaughn, The Love and War Masterpeace

Gregory Isaacs, lover man. RIP.


"Mr. Brown"

I'm neo-souling it through this grey Mondey. Much as I loved Part One, I can't find a foothold with New Amerykah, Part Two. It feels like a "personality record," a "let me do my thang" record, kinda like Prince has done since (pick your own Prince tipping point for you. Mine is Lovesexy)  and like Prince, Ms Badu's thang is a compelling one, perhaps more compelling than that art that comes from it anymore. Like Prince, I'd almost rather see either of them at the bank or the grocery store than in concert just because it would electrify the mundane. If only that translated to the standard exquisite production on their albums. Makes me almost glad D' Angelo has failed to make another album in a decade still reeling from his last one. Almost to all the almosts mentioned.


"Devil's Pie"

No comments:

Post a Comment