Wednesday, February 3, 2010

yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah Ya Ya Ya YEAH!



Devo - "Private Secretary" live at Kent State in 1973.
Devo - Q: Are We Men? A: We Are Devo! (lala)
Frog Eyes - "A Flower in a Glove" (Pitchfork mp3)
Madness - "One Step Beyond"

Thanks WFMU! Devo was one of my first favorite bands, I think it was the flower pot hats. It fit right in with the Police, Black Sabbath and I remember my stepbrother had the Freedom of Choice album and I thought it was a bonding agent between us. I bought him Oh No! It's Devo for that first Christmas but a visit to his apartment years later revealed that it had been a former girlfriend that was the Devo fan, and the album sat wrapped in plastic. Granted, Ohio's Most Significant Export had switched from flower pots to toilet seat-like neckware and the songs were less convulsive and they were doing songs for Dan Akroyd and with Jermaine Jackson and I kinda fell away from them. But still, you could at least unwrap it!

Frog Eyes is my jam. I wanna get all absinthe drunk and set fire to a cornfield like Richard Hell did when I listen to them. I also want to walk around doing funny walks in matching suits with an impossibly large gang of mates like Madness did/does, so I don't put too much stock into my uncontrollable urges.




I'm forever a big fan of "Night Boat to Cairo"



Sax provocatuer Terry Edwards wrote a 33 1/3 book about Madness' One Step Beyond, which I want to read, in case you are curious or looking for presents for me under $10.

Speaking of books, and being one step beyond the point where anyone is still reading, I finished John the Revelator during last night's insomnia bout. I did a fullish review here, but the book jacket blurb is "if you can pack Revelations and the Irish into a book without making it totally corny, you've done a good thing."

I think that covers everything from this morning. Talk soon!

2 comments:

  1. Sir Alex, what was the song name ya ya ya etc by ohio's finest?
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AtaH8bYB0l2jlep1yoHX9KMazKIX;_ylv=3?qid=20120429032452AAFtxiK

    ReplyDelete