Thursday, January 21, 2010

zithers are employed

photo.jpg

The Magnetic Fields - Realism (streaming at their MySpace)
The Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs, Disc One (listen)

I have love at first sight for the Magnetic Fields' new antsy-pantsy, artsy-fartsy folk record. Zithers are employed. They borrowed Devendra Banhart's tablas. The word "hootenanny" comes into play. A friend sent me a link to a blog illustrating all 69 of 69 Love Songs drolly called howfuckingromantic. And how! Realism doesn't quite have the immediate intimacy you find in Love Songs, but when does it ever? This one made me go back and listen to disc one of 69 Love Songs, but, not to discredit Huw “Lem” Davies' lovely use of the comic form, it doesn't take much.

This song makes me wish I could play piano and had a forceful rich baritone and a semi-ironic wine bar gig so I could put it on my setlist.


Another view of the planet room at the planetarium; I was too dazzled by this lovely weather to take a picture of it.

1 comment:

  1. It is rather interesting for me to read that article. Thanks for it. I like such topics and everything that is connected to them. BTW, why don't you change design :).

    ReplyDelete