Wednesday, November 18, 2009

six inch valley through the middle of my soul


Pretty Fakes is to blame for this Bruce moment.



Gary U.S. Bonds - The Best Of... (listen) Gary U.S. Bonds is one of those guys I don't really have a feel for outside of "New Orleans", and this E-Street relocation of the Cajun superstandard "Jole Blon" with Bruce doing his share of the heavy lifting only clouds the dim perception I already had.


This one, though, it hits me right in the Bruce ventricle.


Bruce Springsteen - Born in the U.S.A (listen) So let's go to the real deal. It's a little baffling to be that this 1984 album, Bruce's ticket to getting his bust carved on Mt. Rushmore, came only two years after Nebraska, and four after The River. This like Thriller and Purple Rain, was insanely huge, omnipresent in my formative years. I also contains maybe my all-time favorite Springsteen song, wedged in there like a stolen diary between glossy paperbacks.


I came to know this song through a cover by the Smithereens


who wear it like a bad tattoo. God, this song. I believe that dude from the Smithereens got laid off from the lumber yard and got the job at the car wash and ran till he thought his chest would explode and broke into that house and... and... Bruce's original sounds like a cover of their cover to me. Since we are going meta...

The Smithereens - The Smithereens Play Tommy (listen) I want to tell the Smithereens to knock this tribute shit off and do another Especially for You or Green Thoughts or any of their records but man, they are really good at this. I say either do Born to Run or Appetite for Destruction next.

No comments:

Post a Comment