Tuesday, November 17, 2009

be sporting



Pete Yorn & Scarlett Johansson - Break Up (listen) I'm a little conflicted on this: my music snob side wants to call heresy on them covering Chris Bell's "I Am the Cosmos" but they don't do a bad job with it. I mean, it's not the last frail swipe of self assurance before disintegration takes hold that is the original, but then what is? I think the original is one of the best things there is. If I'd heard it at the right stage of drunkeness/disposable income in my mid-twenties, I would be sporting a gigantic "I AM THE COSMOS" tattoo on my back in a font I forever regretted. And anyway, Pete Yorn is like the current Matthew Sweet in that he can usually be trusted to do the right thing. It's a good record, in fact someone just came into my office asking what I was playing. Usually the music going in my office serves as a deterrent for visitors. So, see? Conflicted.



1 comment:

  1. this is the first version I ever heard

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwbtWTqbsbE

    ReplyDelete